There are two kinds of people when it comes to smartphone users – the extra careful ones and the regular ones. It doesn’t matter which category you fall in, buying a phone case is a given. If you are super careful, obviously you will protect your phone using the strongest cover or case. On the other hand, if you are the regular ones, you might be prone to normally dropping your phone in which case you need a case.
Why does my phone need a case? Isn’t the body of the phone sturdy and the glass Gorilla in nature as claimed by the phone companies? Do these questions bother you every time you buy a new phone and are told by the cell phone accessories distributor to buy a glass protector and back cover too? Do you think that he is trying to sell you something just because he is also a. If yes, then you have come to the right web page.
In this post, we shall cover all the information that you need to choose the perfect phone case – from why you need a phone case to the different types of cases and finally how to decide which is the best fit for your phone. Read on.
Table of Contents
Need for a phone case
This fundamental question needs to be answered first. A phone needs a case because accidents happen. The most commonly reported incidents with respect to phones are where the corners of the phones suffer some form of damage due to a hit or a fall. In such situations if the phone is protected using a case made of sturdy and shock proof material then it saves you tons of money which would otherwise be spent on repairs.
Apart from the basic need of protection from impact, one also needs to consider any special requirements that he or she may have. For instance, swimmers have a tendency to forget that water and their phones are sworn enemies of each other. For such people, there are waterproof cases that can make a huge difference and prevent massive damage.
Further, cases these days go beyond basic or extra protection. Some of them even add charging functionality. This is extremely useful for businessmen and lawyers for whom time is money and for doctors who need to be available throughout the day in case of emergencies. Professional classification aside, no one likes to be with a phone without any juice in it.
Different Types of Cases
Choosing the ideal case for your phone is not without its fair share of challenges. You have the option of going for cases made by the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) or by third party manufacturers. Then there are different materials of which the cases are made of with each material having its own use case. Lastly, there are those specially abled cases (like the one with charging functionality as discussed above) to lure you.
Design based classification
On the basis of design, you will find the following broad types of cases:
- Back cases which essentially protect the back of your phone,
- flip cases which not only protect the back but also provide minimal protection for the front screen,
- bumper cases which only protect the corners and sides of your phone,
- pouch cases which provide all round protection but are inconvenient as you need to pull your phone out of the said pouch every time you need to use them,
- battery cases which can also charge your phones and
- phone skins which let you customize your phone’s look to your liking and provide a certain level of protection too.
Material based classification
On the basis of material, these are the options available:
- Silicon and rubber cases, which are easily available and provide basic protection such as from low drops. These also protect the phone from scratches and are known to be flexible.
- Metal cases, mostly aluminum ones, which are rarely used these days but are perfect if you are looking for strength.
- Leather cases, which offer a good grip, which is essential for preventing accidental drops. These are also preferred in comparison to plastic cases because they look better and last longer.
- Plastic cases, which are least recommended because of their environmental impact.
Which case is the best fit for you?
Although you may have gotten a basic idea of where you want to go after reading the above information, here at the end of this post, we list out certain tips which will help you select the perfect phone case.
- It matters where you buy your accessories from. It can cost you a fortune if you do not do your due diligence. It will surprise you that good quality cases bought cheap at dhgate will provide the same degree of protection and features as a case bought at a retail store near you.
- The case that you select should depend on your personality and lifestyle too apart from the smartphone itself. For instance, students and travelers tend to be rough users and hence need to opt for tough and sturdy cases which protect both the front and the back.
- Focus should also be on ancillary features like thickness, edges and space in the case so that you can ascertain whether it is right for you. Some cases make it difficult to place your phone on a plain surface.